8/29/08

September 8th: Elizabeth K. Doran Helps Celebrate Jack Powers Birthday



Stone Soup Poetry meets from 8-10 p.m. every Monday at the Out of The Blue Art Gallery at 106 Prospect Street with an open mike sign-up at 7:30 p.m. In September, Stone Soup founder Jack Powers celebrates his birthday. Stone Soup commmemorates the event on September 8th with a feature by long-time Stone Soup regular, Elizabeth K. Doran.

Elizabeth K. Doran has been influenced by modern woman writers such as Carolyn Forche, Louise Gluck and Sharon Olds.In 2003 she was awarded a writers grant to attend a month long residency at Vermont Studios. She is currently assistant manager of the Grolier Poetry bookstore in Cambridge. She is published in Spare Change News, Poiesis and the Bagel Bards Anthology. A sample poem follows below, originally published in Poiesis.


There is the house.
See the Chinese rugs,
the vases, the candles lilt,
the wreath on the door.

There is the husband: tall,
faithful.
There is the wife: a saint,
though not beautiful.

I knew the the hands of the husband
before the ring. I knew the voice before
the vows.

There are the yellow leaves
that cling to the oaks in Autumn.
There are the lilac bushes that bloom in spring.

I chose to live my life in a lavender ether.
There are my books, my poems.
There are my illusions,
leave me with them.