2/13/06

March 13th: Jen Kohl Features


Photo by Ray Gasser

Stone Soup Poetry meets from 8-10 p.m. every Monday at the Out of The Blue Art Gallery at 106 Prospect Street with an open mike sign-up at 7:30 p.m. On March 13th, Jen Kohl will feature at Stone Soup for the first time.

Jen Kohl's poems have appeared in Aegis, The Armenian Weekly, The Bitter Oleander, BlackWater Review, and
Poetry East.

She works in Boston as an editor, and lives in Brighton with her husband. She has an MFA from Emerson College and a BA in English and French from the University of New Hampshire.

She enjoys her husband, friends, family, singing at church and making music, reading and writing, generating ideas, cooking, different sports, spending time with children, and inspiring and being inspired by people.

A sample poem, first published in The Bitter Oleander, is below.


Between Passion and Consequence


is a stage
where I emerge,
a soprano in a red dress,
biting air
with glass breath.

Then I am not her.
I am a bulb,
the underground moon.

The stalk
splitting
the avocado seed,
spotted scarlet
in a beige
living room.

I am shallow breath
unfurling on the rug

as I wake
from where I fell
into the Atlantic
with whales.

I swam through dreams,
knew the fin whale
intimately, his shadow,
when he cut
too close. I knew
when to leave
the water.

--Jen Kohl